Thursday, October 6, 2016

The Cutest Mouse Trap




We've been pretty much pest free here at the Nest (except for one episode with a brave squirrel). But last month, like clockwork, on the day the first signs of the New England Autumn began to creep in, we discovered an unwelcome visitor. One evening I walked into the kitchen and saw a mouse run across the counter. I turned on my heels and went right to my laptop to pull up Amazon Prime where I ordered some friendly traps. Two day shipping. As I was shopping the selection of friendly traps, I noticed that the package of three traps was only a few dollars more than the single trap. So I clicked the triple pack. The traps couldn't arrive fast enough. Now I'm not really squeamish, but when I felt a mouse run across my FOOT while doing dishes later that night I almost did a backflip. I wanted this guy OUT.

Of course Murphy's Law was at play and exactly two days later I had house guests- my dear friends from childhood, Jasmine and Corinne. They live in different cities and were staying at my place for the weekend to celebrate our bestie Kate's fabulous wedding. 

I was giving Jasmine the grand tour soon after she arrived. We checked out the library, the lovely bathroom, then on to the kitchen where I flipped on the light and saw a little guy scurrying across the stove. "OooooH NO!" I yelped. Luckily my Amazon package had arrived that day. So we immediately put out the trap with some fresh ground organic unsalted peanut butter. Only the best for The Nest's interlopers. So the guests and I settled in to catch up.

It wasn't long before we heard a few tap tap tap sounds. When I flipped the light on in the kitchen there was one mouse in the trap, and another mouse looking at him from the outside! I was immediately glad I got the three pack! We set another trap and within two hours there were THREE more baby mice in the trap. I sent that group to Medford with my pal Sophie. Then I caught another one that night and released it in Dedham the next morning. I set the traps out every day and averaged a mouse per day for the next 5 days. 
I also soaked cotton balls with Peppermint oil and placed them around the kitchen. Apparently Peppermint is a mouse repellant. And it also smells like candy canes. 

Sometime in the middle of this mess, I was chatting with my mom who suggested nature's most adorable mouse trap: a kitty! I've always wanted one but it never really seemed like the right time before. All of a sudden, it seemed like the perfect time. 

I started searching for my new fur baby immediately. I applied to three different local shelters. The application process was actually quite thorough including a reference check and lots of questions about my pet owning history. Just about a week later I met Sweet Clarissa at The Kitty Connection in Medford. I pet Clarissa a few times and then sat myself down on the stairs. She jumped right into my lap and hunkered down. I guess you could say she chose me!

She had to be kept in a safe room for a few days when she first came home. It was clear that she knew she landed in a safe place. She didn't stop purring for the first three days! She was so curious to come out and explore the rest of the house. By the end of the week I just had to let her have free reign of the place. 

Clarissa has been settling in nicely. Still very happy to cuddle, but also becoming more playful as she gets more comfortable. She has brought such  great joy to The Nest! She hasn't caught any mice, but the sightings seem to have ceased, thank goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment